From Consigned to Death
Figure on 1 ½ to 2 apples per serving.
1. Peel and core a combination of your favorite sweet and tart apples. Josie usually selects Macintosh and Delicious apples, although she’s had good luck with Gala and Granny Smith apples, too.
2. Cut them into 1″ chunks.
3. For every 6 apples, add the juice of ½ lemon.
4. For every 6 apples, add ½ tsp. salt.
5. For every 6 apples, add at least 1 tsp. of cinnamon and ¼ tsp. of freshly ground nutmeg.
6. Simmer all day, or longer, stirring occasionally, and adjusting the seasoning to taste. If possible, chill overnight, and simmer the day
you plan to serve it for several more hours.
7. Add additional peeled, cored, and chopped apples to the simmering mixture 1 to 2 hours before you plan on serving it, adding
additional lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
8. Stir gently and occasionally, being careful to keep the new apples pieces intact.