From Consigned to Death
Josie’s mom recommends serving the eggs with a fruit salad, toast (buttered and sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar), bacon, and broiled tomatoes.
In advance, prepare the egg mixture:
Figure on 2 eggs per person.
- Crack the eggs one at a time in a small bowl to ensure no shell pieces fall in.
- Transfer the eggs to a bowl large enough so when you whisk the eggs briskly, there will be no spillage.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add 1/8 tsp. vanilla per 2 eggs.
- Add a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg mixture briskly. Set aside.
In advance, prepare the vegetables:
One medium-sized tomato per 2 eggs, chopped coarsely. Salt the tomato generously, and stir gently.
½ medium-sized white or yellow onion, chopped finely. Add salt and pepper to the onion to taste.
To prepare the eggs:
- In a frying pan (choose the size of the pan based on the quantity of eggs you’re cooking), melt
butter over low heat. Plan on using 1 tab of butter per 2 eggs.
- Add onions and sauté gently until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and sauté gently for a minute or two, until the tomatoes are soft, but not mushy.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, whisk the egg mixture again until it’s frothy.
- As soon as the tomatoes are ready, add the egg mixture.
- Stir occasionally, not allowing any area to be still for more than several seconds.
- When almost cooked, remove pan from heat and immediately scrape eggs onto plates.